February 20th Edwards Assignment for All Staff
Design a cornerstone matrix around something that you are doing now, create a short cycle assessment, implement, evaluate it with your assessment & bring to the table when Steve returns NEXT WEEK!
- Design a short cycle assessment based on a new matrix
- Design a matrix to use now A 9 block matrix would be great, and design it around a cornerstone skill- but this can be where you just create & use a one column matrix with a DOK 1-2-3 on same skills (Quality over quantity)
- Implement- The DOK 3 needs to be on what you are teaching now & it must be implemented to be able to bring data and product to next meeting in two weeks.
- Evaluate/Assess– bring to the next meeting: 1) Artifacts of your short cycle assessment results & 2) student work!
Think about “Backwards Design” as you do this work, and design it from DOK 3 down. Spending time on higher order trumps lower level development.
Points to consider:
- This assignment can be where content areas get together and work with the 3 by 3 matrix in peer review prior to the next visit in two weeks.
- Product needs to be continually looked at to see what makes a high quality product. High Quality Product is the focus of this assignment.
- Assessments will shows if teachers are really changing our practice…Seeing a change in our assessments across the board is huge in a school.
Short cycle assessment points:
- Short cycle assessments can be designed around a cornerstone skill.
- Think of a skill that you can focus on that works with other teachers across disciplines as well.
- Middle and high can collaborate on this.
- It would be best to have your DOK 3 matrix built around a cornerstone skill and write your short cycle assessment concurrently / from it.
Edwards Schools Leadership Team Assignment
- Performance task… Define what a performance task is!
- Design and implement a performance task in a short cycle assessment
- Master matrix 2.0– use this now to design new matrix for instruction now
- Cornerstone matrix this should be a cornerstone matrix
- Higher Order Focus on 3-4 DOK naturally, as this happens all the time in our world and is where we want to be teaching/facilitating
- Data…track the data around the short cycle assessments
- Classroom visits –Leadership team members need to get in to classrooms and see what others are doing with the FYS work at VHS. We need to schedule / structure these peer-to-peer visits…. (A Principal walk thru doesn’t do it, as we are looking for a change In practice! Teachers support teachers instead of mandating change… Remember to visit don’tobserve.
- 10-minute meetings…..the Principal needs to be doing and documenting this. Steve just published an article on the ten-minute meetings!
- We need a FCS definition of “performance task”. Think of the word performance… what do we want to see kids doing to show mastery as we visit classrooms?
- Compare & Contrast
DOK Levels- FYS
- DOK 1. Recall–Remember developmental level
- DOK 2 multiple steps, one answer, cognitive decision
- DOK 3. Justify, some collaboration, abstract, real world, interdisciplinary, more than one answer, multiple approaches
Do not confine a student’s way to show mastery